Monday, October 10, 2011

A trip to Milano!

Ciao Amici,

This past week was a roller coaster. Emotions and friendships were definitely tested. My practicum class had a huge miss understanding with the professor, which upset a lot of people. Without getting into specifics both the students and professor are to blame. We met with the director and as of right now I think everything is going to turn out ok! (keeping my fingers crossed.)

 As for the friendships, I absolutely LOVE everyone here! I couldn't ask for a better group of people to share this experience with, but it's been about two months and everyone's little quirks/true colors are beginning to show. It can be difficult living and working with the same people every day. Therefore, to get away I have been going for walks and writing everything in my journal to relieve the stress. So far it has really worked!

CCI and our wonderful director Fabio in Milano!
Okay, on to the positive side of things! Wednesday night my practicum group attended a dinner and theater place. We had the opportunity to meet with the Public Relations coordinator of the theatre. It is the only place of its kind in the world! A full course dinner is served (buffet style). They continuously brought out different foods, which were all homemade! Every time a new dish was served the owner/chief yelled out the window what it was and people flew like vultures to the table!!! (He looked like Santa Claus.) They of course had fish, which I hate, and my professor brought a piece over and just chopped its head off!!! I literally almost screamed! It was the most disgusting thing ever! Then of course Chris and Brett had to go get a piece! I sat with my hand infront of my face until they finished! I don't care how childish it was, a fish head just sitting on the table it NOT okay with me!! I must say though, I did try a baby clam and it wasn't bad!
Kinda fuzzy :(

After dinner all the tables were moved out of the hall and our chairs were moved towards the stage. We enjoyed an hour performance all in Italian! Even though I couldn't understand most of it, I could read the body language and it was very interesting! I can't wait to go back and interview the workers!

Thursday I helped another practicum group with their project. They are putting together a documentary about wine. We attended a wine exhibit that housed the top 200 out of 20,000 wines in Italy. I could taste any of them for FREE!!! It was so interesting because I don't really know a lot about wine, other than I don't like it dry! I also had the chance to interview two wine experts. One was a critic and the other made it. Both were very helpful and nice! I might go with Jen to the winery next weekend if no one in her group wants to go!

Bar Duomo!
Me in front of the second largest cathedral in the world!
Friday I spent the day in Milano! Even though a lot of people say they don't like it, I LOVED it! It may be because I'm a shopaholic, but it was a beautiful city! The CCI and business students had the opportunity to walk the halls of Corriere Della Sera, the most popular nationwide newspaper in Italy! The staff was very kind and had a lot to say about their company!

delicious peach tea!
After that we had an hour of free time! We passed all the designer stores. (It's probably a good thing I didn't have time to shop.) The girls and I enjoyed lunch at Bar Duomo. Our waiters were so cute! It was super windy that day so they stood and blocked the wind for us. hahaha.

Later in the afternoon we met with Business Press and Now!, both are Italian PR companies. The workers were absolutely AMAZING! They were so intriguing and passionate about their jobs! The company is the PR firm for Facebook, so it was very interesting to hear about what they do for them!

Although I wish I had more time to explore the city itself, I did have a great time in Milano and would suggest each and every one of you to travel there if you have the opportunity.

The rest of the weekend I spent around Firenze! Saturday Brit, Bri, Eric and I spent the day at the leather market. I accomplished a little Christmas shopping.  :) Oh, and I bought myself a dolphin ring and bracelet!!! Then, Sunday I just spent the afternoon working on Marcus' birthday present and studying for my Italian exam! Next weekend I am hoping to discover Tuscany and the following weekend I will be in Venice!!!

I hope everyone is having a great fall season! Only 2 and a half months til we're reunited!!! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment