Monday, October 31, 2011

A beautiful weekend in Barcelona!

Ciao Amici,

Well, this past weekend I was in Barcelona. It was nothing like I imagined it to be! The city is HUGE and so much cleaner than I expected! (In most areas. Some places were dirty! In fact I was informed that traces of Cocaine and Acid are found in Barcelona's air.) hahaha

We arrived late Thursday night, so we headed straight to bed. Friday we walked just about the entire city and my feet still hate me for that! haha. It was so much nicer than taking the metro though, because we stumbled upon so many cool things! We got to see the Christopher Columbus monument, walked along Port Vell, Sagrada Familia and enjoyed a delicious Spanish meal!


Sagrada Familia is a church that was built in the late 1800s by Antoni Gaudi! The architecture is so creative and different from anything in Italy! It reminds me of a sand castle you'd build at the beach as a kid!
The best part of my day though was getting STARBUCKS!!! I have never been so happy in my life to see a Starbucks!! They spelled mine and Stephen's name wrong on our cups. :( but it was still delicious as ever!
For dinner, I had Paella which was very good and I had probably the biggest glass of pop known to man! It was a little more expensive than I had expected, but well worth it!!

Saturday morning we kinda just got lost in the city! We walked down to the beach and I fell asleep on a chair! No worries, I was holding on tightly to my things!! Kelly, Jen, Stephen and I just kept wandering and found a cute little park so we sat there for a while then took pictures by a gorgeous fountain!


Later in the afternoon we made our way over to Park Guell! It is a mosaic park created by Antoni Gaudi! It is absolutely unbelievable how pretty it is and we had to take escalators up to the park! My favorite part of that was eating Subway there!! I missed it so much!!


The BEST part of the night though, was a fountain light show! OMG I have NEVER in my life seen anything so beautiful! The water shot up so high and they had such pretty music to go along with it! Behind the fountain is a huge government building that also had beautiful lights and fountains! I would have been perfectly content staying there the rest of the evening!

Sunday, Kelly, Stephen, Jen and I woke up at 6 to watch the sun rise on the beach! We took a bunch of goofy pictures and were lucky enough to witness a fight! We all saw a surfer and a man walking his dog. Well I thought it'd be cute to get a picture of a man walking his dog.. Next thing I know the two men are wrestling on the beach! Everyone just stood and stared! The man walking his dog had stolen the surfer's bag. The surfer walked away with his belongings and the other guy was NOT happy about it! He ripped off his shirt, fell over himself to take his shoes off and chased the surfer down! The surfer just planted him right into the ground! Funniest thing I have ever witnessed!


We concluded our weekend by visiting a chocolate museum. Apparently, Barcelona is the first and still is the main import of chocolate into Europe! There were so many amazing sculptures made purely out of chocolate! My favorite was UP! I wish my mom could have been there with me though! She loves chocolate more than anyone I know!!!


Next weekend I'm off to Roma then Paris the following one!!! I hope everyone is having a great Halloween!!!!
Love and miss you all!
Monique









No comments:

Post a Comment